Sunday, June 16, 2013

One week down, ten to go

I think I was out a little too late last night. As it turned out, our campground in Joliet was only about five miles away from the poker room at Harrah's and the temptation was too great. Once all of the kids were in bed, I snuck away for a little no limit hold'em. I doubled my money within the first ten minutes, so I assumed it would be a great night. Unfortunately the cards got cold, which was truly too bad because I was seated next to a dentist named Bob, also known as Driller, who typically plays pot limit Omaha and didn't feel any rush unless he was bluffing at big pots. I saw him bluff off one or two thousand dollars over the course of the night, and not nearly enough of them came my way. I ended the evening in the black and rolled back to the RV at around one in the morning.


This morning the kids ate a quick breakfast and we headed to church services at the Westminster Presbyterian Church in Joliet. It was a small congregation and everyone was very welcoming. We had a nice visit with Pastor Matt before the service and he was kind enough to ensure that our kids participated in the children's sermon, which included handing out mini Snickers bars to the fathers in the congregation. Somehow, despite the fact that I had four participating children, I ended up with only two Snickers. Thankfully, as we were leaving church, Pastor Matt called Adelaide back into the church and he sent us on our way with all of the leftover Snickers, a little something by which to remember the Westminster Presbyterian Church.

After church we had an enjoyable Father's Day brunch at the Original Pancake House in Orland Park followed by another visit with my grandmother, Aunt Kathy, and Uncle Charlie. After an hour or so, it seemed like our kids were gearing up to do some serious damage to my grandmother's house, so it was time to go. We headed back to collect our RV and headed north to catch up with the Clark clan. Carrie and Don were nice enough to let us park the RV in their driveway, which I'm assuming was not cleared with their neighbors and violates a few covenants, and Aunt Gerrie made delicious beef sandwiches. It was nice to catch up with Aunt Gerrie, Uncle Jim, and Carrie and to get to know Don. There was talk with Don tonight about skydiving tomorrow evening in southern Wisconsin, which occurred after Jll went to bed. I just need to figure out now whether my life insurance policy has an exclusion for skydiving.

- Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment