Thursday, June 20, 2013

I wouldn't say I've been missing it, Bob.

In the days leading up to my sabbatical, I was anxious about leaving work for so long and worried that I would not be able to get away from it. Now, not even two weeks into the trip, I am at ease. While I check e-mail regularly to ensure that nothing falls through the cracks, I don't spend time worrying about it. I simply forward the e-mail to the appropriate person, knowing that it is taken care of. Having full days certainly helps me forget about what's going on back at the office.

Because we had arrived in Cedar Point so late on Tuesday night, we did not get up in time to take advantage of being able to get into the park an hour early. It turns out that this was a good thing because just because people got into the park an hour early did not mean they were able to ride any rides at that time. I think all of the rides opened at ten, so I would have been a little peeved to get in an hour early just to walk around. I spent the first few minutes of the morning trying to convince Adelaide and Alastair, our only kids tall enough to ride on all of the rides in the park, to spend the morning with me riding roller coasters. I thought I would have some luck as Alastair agreed, first thing in the morning, to ride the Magnum roller coaster. He did a great job, announced that he loved the ride, and promptly said that was the only one he would ride. Adelaide backed out of roller coasters immediately. They both told me, though, that they would be happy to ride any roller coaster that did not go too high, too fast, or upside down. Being in a park renowned for its tall, fast, and upside-downy roller coasters, I had to part ways with my family. I traded the kids for a Fast Pass, ensuring that I did not have to wait in any lines, and I endeavored to get on all of the roller coasters. By noon I was sure that I had shaken baby syndrome. I met Jll and the kids for lunch, then went out to hit the rest of the roller coasters. By about four o'clock I couldn't take any more, so I caught up with the family and rode all of the rides the kids were willing to ride. By about nine o'clock, Jll and the kids headed back to the RV and I ventured out once more to end the day on the big rides.

This morning we packed up our home and moved out of Ohio. Drove for five or six hours to Buffalo, New York to visit Jll's Cousins Jessica and Amanda, their husbands, Mamadou and Nate, and Amanda's daughter Evelyn. Being in Buffalo, I wanted to have dinner at the Anchor Bar, where chicken wings were invented. They tasted fine, but at the end of the day, they were just wings. I'm glad we were drawn here by things other than the wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment