Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My mother's humble roots

Spent the day in Indianola, IA which was my mother's home and summertime stomping ground for me and my sister, Julie.  It really hasn't changed that much and I was really proud of myself that I was able to find all of the sites I wanted to visit on instinct alone.  It is such a small town that the tour for the kids took about a half hour, which is perfect, because that is only as long as anyone wants to hear about "when I was a kid."  I feel so fortunate that my mom was raised in such a nice little place and I also feel really fortunate that she went to college in CO and met my dad.  I find it difficult to envision life in such a small town. 

My lunch with my Great Aunt Sue and cousin Terri was so nice.  We find a way to see them every time we are here and they are so lovely and hospitable.  We will have coffee in the morning with Sue and my Uncle Howard before we hit the road again.  My mother's family was very well known and respected in this little town for a long time.  My few family members are dwindling now and it makes me feel sad that we have fewer and fewer chances to be here.  I had such a great childhood riding bikes with Julie through these cute little streets.  I wish I could go back in time for just a glimpse of those people I loved so very much.  Instead, I listen to my little people breathing deep as they sleep close by and am filled with gratitude for them and for my very wonderful roots on my beautiful family tree.  - Jll

1 comment: