Sunday, June 9, 2013

It was an early morning.

I think it is safe to say that the whole family was a little on edge leading up to our departure today. Jll and I were woken up by Adelaide at 2:15 this morning. She couldn't sleep and made sure that no one else could sleep either. I could not get back to sleep easily and tossed and turned for another couple of hours. When it was finally time to get up, we packed the last few belongings into the RV and I had to drive across town for Alastair's bat bag. We discovered yesterday that he left it at Holly Hills Elementary after the last Yankees' game and, luckily, learned last night that one the parents picked it up. I retrieved the bag, saving us the hassle of having to buy Alastair and I new gloves, threw the gloves into the compartment for sports equipment and we headed to church. Sitting through church I had a pit in my stomach and I could not help but ask myself whether hitting the road for the next eleven weeks was such a good idea. Also, given the hiccup with the first attempt to tow Jll's van, I had visions of the thing coming off the dolly as we headed down the highway at 60 miles per hour. I wondered if I had enough car insurance for this adventure. Luckily the service ended before I had too many terrible thoughts running through my head and there was no time to rethink the plan.

After seeing the peeps and receiving one last blessing, we hit the road. Five hours later we rolled into North Platte. We were able to get here on less than three-quarters of a tank of gas. I will need to start gassing up only at truck stops. Not knowing exactly how much gas we started with, I do not yet know our fuel consumption. I do know that if you can watch the needle move as you drive down the highway, that's not a good sign. When we got to North Platte, I drove into a regular gas station and not only did I have a hard time negotiating the lot with a 32' RV towing a Honda Odyssey, but the pump cut me off, repeatedly, once it hit the $75 limit. With a 55 gallon tank, $75 just doesn't cut it.  Flying J, here we come.

Tomorrow it's on to Omaha for lunch with one of Jll's sorority sisters and dinner with Tom and Ann Scates.

1 comment: