Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Flash flood

On Sunday morning we cleaned ourselves up and headed to church at Parkside Lutheran Church in Buffalo, where Nate Presisinger is the pastor. I always find it interesting to watch relatives preach, and I thought Nate did a great job. He had a very compelling message about the virtues of Starbucks' blond roast, which I have yet to try. After church we headed to breakfast at Kostas Family Restaurant with Nate, Amanda, Evelyn, Jessica, and Mamadou.  We ultimately hit the road for Herkimer at about 1:30. When we got to Herkimer, we found that the road to the campsite was closed because of flash floods. After waiting for about an hour, we talked with the firemen on scene about the detour to the campsite and after being asked by three different men "how are the brakes on this thing?" we decided to abandon Herkimer and drove another two hours to Lake Luzern. I did get to make my first u-turn, which turned into a three-point turn of the 32' motor home, 8' tow dolly, and minivan. I am happy to report that I accomplished this feat with no mishaps, though at one point I thought for sure I'd dump the van into the flooded river.



 
On Monday morning we woke up, ate breakfast, and hit the road for Montpelier. We arrived mid-afternoon, set up the RV, and headed to Heather and Lauren's. It was great to watch the kids play with their cousins and catch up with my family. My mother and brother flew in on Saturday and had made a great spaghetti dinner for everyone. After dinner we headed to the Morse Farm Maple Sugarworks for maple creemees. They also have a goat which stands on top of a two story structure waiting for visitors to deposit 25 cents worth of goat food into a cup attached to a rope between two pulleys. The goat the pulls the rope using its teeth, raising the cup, so that it can eat. The kids found this very intriguing and despite the fact that they were being eaten alive by mosquitos, we could not leave until each of the kids had their chance to feed the goat.

No comments:

Post a Comment