Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Taos, NM - The Last Hoorah

We had an uneventful start to the day, the kids ate muffins while Jll and I prepared to move from Santa Fe to Taos. We ran into some slow traffic along the way caused by a truck moving a double wide mobile home which partially came off of the trailer when the truck rounded a corner. We got settled into our new digs at about noon and grabbed a quick lunch at the Guadalajara Grill before heading to the Taos Pueblo. I don't know if it was because we've been on the road for so long or because the kids did not find it too interesting, but they really didn't seem to enjoy our visit too much. I found it fascinating that 150 people still live in the pueblo village. After the tour, Jll and I talked about it though and we wondered whether 150 people actually live there, without electricity and running water, or whether there are 150 who man shops within the homes at the pueblo village.

We spent a few hours walking around the Taos Plaza, stopping into random art galleries and antique shops. At one point we were walking around a store that sells fossils and Dagny tipped over a sand picture which was sitting on top of a glass display case and Jll and I thought for sure the glass was about to break and the trip would get a lot more expensive. Luckily, nothing broke and we quickly left the store. At that point, we were all pretty well worn down and we headed back to the RV park. The kids played on the play ground, Jll talked with her mom who leaves for Europe tomorrow morning, and I enjoyed a cigar. We cleaned up and ate the rest of the Cooper's bar-b-que we brought from Llano. It is delicious even as a leftover.

The kids are now watching a movie in one of the bunk beds and I am sitting in the dark at the dinette, writing and watching the electrical storm outside. The rain reinforces the melancholy feeling brought on by reaching the end of the trip. We head home tomorrow and I can't say enough about how much I have enjoyed this time with my family. In looking at the summer we have spent, I am certain that the most precious thing any of us has is time. I am overjoyed that I have had the privilege and the honor of spending over two and a half months with my family, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Sure there have been some less than stellar days and bad behavior (on the part of the kids and on my part, I'm sure), but I would not trade this summer for the world.  Being able to share this experience, all of the places we've visited and all of the people we've seen, has truly been a blessing. I am truly blessed.

- Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment