Saturday, July 13, 2013

For as tired as I am, you would think that we would have done more today.

Since we wrecked the kids yesterday, we encouraged them last night to sleep in this morning. It worked, partially. Maggie and Alastair were still up fairly early and, because we've used the television so infrequently in the RV, they could not turn it on to entertain themselves this morning. Thankfully, Jll got up and put on a movie, buying me a few more minutes of rest. Then, because she was up, Jll agreed to round up another assortment of pastries for breakfast. By the time we got out of the campground, it was ten thirty, pretty late for us. We took the Path train from the Grove Station to 33rd Street Station and walked up to Grand Central Station. After walking around the main terminal for a few minutes, we took the subway to 161st Street.

We picked up our tickets at will call and headed in to Yankee Stadium. I don't know if it's because he plays baseball, or that he is older, but watching Alastair watch a game now compared to his first game is night and day. The first game he attended was when John Miret and I took him to a Rockies game at Coors Field. Being his first game, I sprang for club level seats. Unfortunately, he was interested in everything going on in the stadium except what was happening on the field. Today, Alastair actually sat and watched the game. Unfortunately for him, I did not spring for club level seats at Yankee Stadium.


In lieu of the best seats available option on Ticketmaster, I used the "cheapest way to get my family into the stadium" option. We could not have been further from the field. Despite being in the last row of the stadium, the view from our seats was not bad and we enjoyed being protected from the sun. The Yankees lost 4-1 to the Twins. On our way out, we stopped at the team store to pick up a jersey for Alastair. He has not asked for anything on the trip so far, and very much wanted a jersey. On our way back to the campground this evening he asked if he could wear it every day for the rest of the trip.








On our way back through Manhattan, we stopped in Central Park to walk for a while and so that the kids could explore some of the playgrounds. We enjoyed the walk, though we were detoured by a Mariah Carey concert. I don't much care for Mariah Carey and did not appreciate the detour. We toyed with the idea of visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art, but it was getting a little too late, and the kids were getting a little to punchy. We walked a little further through the park and then found our way back to the Grove Station and our home on Marin Boulevard. We cleaned up and made a random dinner out of yogurt and leftovers. Not very enticing, but it did the trick. The kids were so worn out that they didn't even fight bed time. I think that the cumulative days of walking around the city is taking its toll on everyone. I know that I am tired. I can't fathom how people live here and commute through the city day after day. It makes me appreciate my five mile commute from the house to Cherry Creek.

- Dave

1 comment:

  1. Love the photo of the kids at the Alice in Wonderland statute. Brings me back to when I was in high school and hung out in Central Park. The long NYC commutes are part of what brought me to Maine.
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete