Saturday, August 1, 2026

The Great Equalizer

July 18

We tackled a lot for our first full day in Paris! Alastair woke us all up this morning with homemade breakfast in bed which was incredible. He likes having his own kitchen in an AirBnB and we all benefit.




We took the metro straight to the Eiffel Tower and raced to the entrance (slightly late) for our 11am tickets. After a very long security line, we climbed to the 2nd floor of the tower which is 674 steps! The views are beautiful and we walked around and around. I was missing Palmer because he was with me last time I was in Paris.





We grabbed some Nutella crepes before climbing down and chugging a bunch of (free) water. We took the metro to the very popular Bouillon Chartier. I’ve never been to a Bouillon before but Alastair’s got a whole food tour for us in Paris, obviously. 




After waiting in a long line, we were seated in what feels like a fancy cafeteria. The low prices meant that we got to try many appetizers (escargot, pâté, etc), main courses (duck, sausage, etc), and desserts (apple sauce, chocolate mousse, cream puff, etc).




We had planned to walk around and see some things, but we had such a slow lunch that we headed straight to the Paris Catacomb Museum. I’d never been to the catacombs before and it was absolutely worth the extra stairs for the day. As someone who’s studied human anatomy, I was fascinated by the bones. As a person, I was touched by the mass burial site.




Dagny and I walked through the catacombs together and were equally affected. The quote that stood out to me the most in the museum comes from a visitor in 1809: “I visited the temple of true equality.” We’re all the same in the end.




We headed back to the AirBnB for a pasta dinner and some downtime after such a big day and so many stairs climbed.


Adelaide

No comments:

Post a Comment