Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Bike Burglars and the Grand Canyon

I would like to preface this blog by assuring you all that my family is safe and sound in our RV. We are all okay and are still enjoying our adventure. That being said, last sabbatical, I did a lot of writing about scary things that happened to us and about the anxiety I felt on the trip. I wrote many blogs about how worried I was all the time and how crazy life felt on the road. When we began our trip this summer my parents began to explain to me about my old blogging habits. I didn't even remember how scared I was which is probably a good thing. Anyways, this entire trip I have felt very calm and at home which has been an amazing way to take a break from all of the activities going on in my life back home. We have felt very comfortable in our RV and in the places we have stayed, that is, until this morning. I have decided this scary story is worth the telling...

I was woken up this morning by frantic screaming and banging. The voice was my mother's and she was so distraught that she could not get her words out properly. At first, I heard the banging noise and thought that perhaps someone had fallen off of the bed. I imagined that maybe one of my parents was having a stroke or a heart attack. Next, I considered maybe someone was attacking my parents and trying to hurt them. Everything happened so fast that I really didn't know what was going on and it was still 5 in the morning so my whole family was not thinking straight.

My mom is a light sleeper and was the first to wake up. She felt the RV moving but thought it was just one of us kids walking around to get to the bathroom. When she heard noises coming from outside, she opened her blind on the back of the RV and came face to face with a man on the other side of the glass. They looked at each other for a second and then she went into hysterics. She had something in her mouth that protects her teeth while she sleeps and her brain had not fully engaged yet so she began pounding on the window, trying to wake up my dad, and yelling what Dagny later described as sounding like a muffled, "THEY'RE STEALING OUR BODIES!!!" We now believe she was trying to say, "they're stealing our bikes!" My dad woke up, as did the rest of us, and he began to try to calm her down. Now, I know it is not very easy to picture all of this happening, but if I had to use one word to describe how mom acted, I would choose possessed. This scared the robber so badly that after cutting the cord and trying to lift the bike down (my dad's bike, the rest of them are worthless), he dropped the bike and ran.

By this point, we were all awake and freaked out, so my dad got dressed, unhooked the RV from the site, and we left Vegas. There is nothing like a 5 am almost-robbery to get you to pack your bags and leave Vegas. Entering the city, we all had a discussion about being more aware and careful because it was not as safe a place as the other cities which we had visited but none of us could have predicted the events of this morning.

After that, our day was pretty boring and normal. I finally fell back asleep along with Alastair and Mags. Dad and mom got a new bike lock cord for the RV and mom got some groceries at a Walmart. We drove all the way to our new campsite just outside of the Grand Canyon. We set up at our new campsite, relaxed, watched some movies, did some homework, Dad took a phone call, and we went to see an IMAX movie about the Grand Canyon. We grabbed some ice cream and drove around the park to check out our plan for tomorrow. Now we are trying to have a nice, calm, quiet night to counter our chaotic morning. Goodnight!

- Adelaide


No comments:

Post a Comment