Saturday, July 28, 2018

Scates Family

My father, Tim Scates, was the youngest of 6 boys, all preacher's kids. Most of my uncles were ministers or missionaries and many of my cousins as well. We gather for family reunions every 2-3 years and on average 80 of us are able to be together. I always liken our reunions to church camp to include mess hall style dining, open dirt field games like softball and volleyball, camp songs and a daily gathering for our worship time together to include lots of singing. Last night my cousin, Curtis, was in charge of our message and it was great. He is fun and funny and his "sermon" was wrapped in under 15 minutes. Magnolia was tickled as she was mentally set on her normal 60 minute message.

Yesterday's softball game was inter-generational and super fun. Just the right combination of competitive spirit and laughs. Magnolia and her cousin Caleb were team captains and their picks were a combination of the family members they love the most and the really athletic 20 something male cousins. In these games the 10 and under can not get "out" so they run the bases at will. As for the rest of us, we play for blood. By the grace of God we all had fun and we didn't cause serious injury to any of our youngest team mates.

Afternoon activities included lots of hikes, naps, catching up with one another, basketball, Frisbee golf, swinging on porch swings, and getting reacquainted with the youngest members of the clan. We range in age from 6 months to 87. This down time is the priceless part of the weekend. I am so glad to be with my cousins and so grateful to each family for carving out their vacation time to be together.

The evening wrapped with the always anticipated Rook Tournament. This is the card game we all play and we all love. Last night we had 24 participants and my partner, Darin, and I took second. Games will take place again tonight and I plan to improve my standing.

Dave headed for Denver yesterday to celebrate the 50 year anniversary of his Denver Highlanders RFC. I am sure he is having fun and hopeful he will return to the reunion tonight with minimal bruising and no broken bones or lost teeth.

                             -Jll

No comments:

Post a Comment