Tuesday, July 10, 2018

McLains on the Rock

We woke at the crack of dawn this morning, picked up dad and Kris, and headed Pier 33 to wait in line to get tickets to see Alcatraz.  We were sad to see that when we arrived at six this morning, there were already a hundred or so people in front of us.  Not knowing how many tickets are reserved for the stand-by folks, we weren't sure we'd make it, but we did.  We received tickets for the 8:45 boat to see Alcatraz and we all sighed a sigh of relief, our early morning rise had not been in vain.  We had a little breakfast and coffee while we waited, and we were off.


We spent a few hours on Alcatraz, taking the audio tour of the cell block and walking around the open parts.  While it was fun to see it again, and to experience it with my kids, it was not as memorable as when I visited as a child with my siblings, mother, Busia, and my cousin, David Szatkowski.  I do not know what was going on that day, but we befriended two elderly gentlemen who seemed to know a lot about Alcatraz.  I think at one point they offered to take their picture with us, which we did.  Afterwards my mother asked how they knew so much about he prison, and they let us know that they had been inmates.  One of the gentlemen was Clarence Carnes,  known as The Choctaw Kid, was a Choctaw best known as the youngest inmate incarcerated at Alcatraz and for his participation in the bloody escape attempt known as the "Battle of Alcatraz."  I do not recall know who the other gentlemen was, though I do recall that he spent more time in solitary confinement and read more books while in Alcatraz than any other prisoner.  At least that's what I think I remember.  Perhaps my mother can shed some light on the year we visited, and I can do some additional research.  Based on what I could dig up using my phone on the way back to San Francisco, I think the other inmate we met may have been Jim Quillen.  If anyone can let me know who I met, I'll send you a McLains on the Road t-shirt or coffee mug, your choice.

After our visit to Alcatraz, we headed to North Beach to have lunch at the Stinking Rose, another restaurant at which Jll and I ate on our honeymoon.  The restaurant is famous for its use of garlic in every dish served, down to the garlic ice cream, on which we passed.  Instead, we headed across the street to an Italian bakery for some assorted desserts, Alastair and I sharing a cannoli.  On our way back to Pacifica, where we are staying, we drove through the Castro District and Haight Ashbury, but did not walk around either.  I think we were all dragging a little too much.









We dropped dad and Kris off at their hotel and hit the RV for a much needed nap.  You are not supposed to get up at 5 o'clock on sabbatical.  We met up again with dad and Kris to spend some time on the beach, dad and I sharing a cigar and talking as the sun set.  All in all, it was a good day.

- Dave
   

No comments:

Post a Comment