Friday, June 15, 2018

Delta Love

David and I really do have good luck when it comes to campsites. We meet nice people, we feel safe, there are always unusual little quirky things in each one. KOA is always a good choice for us because they encourage families. At this particular KOA there is a pool (which is hugely important to my kids), giant Connect 4, chess, and checkers, a play ground, ride around toys, and they project a kids movie on the lawn every night at dusk. We have taken advantage of most of these "amenities" and this morning I whooped my kids at giant checkers. I don't know who taught me to play, maybe my dad, but I learned early never to leave your back row.  Keep your checkers on that back row as long as possible so your opponent can't be "kinged". I imparted this wisdom on my littlest 3 this morning as I easily beat them up at checkers. Now they have some real-life skills to take out into the world.

We made our way over to the Museum of Popular Culture, MoPop for the cool kids. Apparently I am not a cool kid because I didn't really love it. Exhibits included the history of horror films, tons of sci-fi and fantasy, an exhibit devoted to the band Nirvana and Jimi Hendrix, and one entirely devoted to video games. The only exhibit I kind of liked was the one on sound where you could mix instruments much like would be done in a music studio. I considered that one most interesting. But, MoPop is right next door to the Space Needle so we took a good long look at it and that side of Seattle has its own charm.

We caught a late afternoon ferry to Bainbridge Island to visit my sorority sister, Diana Moore, and her two kids Everett and Carlyn. They were good to pick us up at the ferry and show us around their little island. Diana and I were in college together at CSU and in the house together for 3 years. She has always been a solid friend and anytime I can reconnect with one of my Tri-Delta sisters is a good day.

Back to our RV for bedtime for Alastair. He is my early to bed kid. He starts to fade at 8:30 and he is complete putty by 9pm. The girls, on the other hand, have to be dragged to bed. So I obliged a 45 minute late night swim for them because I can. It's not like we have to wake up for school in the morning.

I am missing Adelaide very much. She flies home to Denver tomorrow night and we collect her at Sea-Tac on Sunday morning. I am ready to have all of my babies back under my thin tin roof. Nighty, night.

-Jll

No comments:

Post a Comment