Monday, June 25, 2018

A bit about the Spit

Homer Alaska has less than 6000 residents. We like small towns because your choice of activities can be narrowed down to the tiny free magazine you pick up in any café, gift shop, or tourism desk. We like having fewer choices. The top tourism attraction in Homer is the Spit. Props to any of our readers who already know what that is, we did not. It is a very narrow and long strip of land that juts out from the coast like a thumb. The Homer Spit is 4.5 miles long and no more than 100 yards across. Lined with shops and restaurants and lots of options for fishing. Homer is the Halibut fishing capital. I fished a lot as a little girl with my maternal grandparents but it didn't take. I don't love it, and I REALLY don't like boats. So, no fishing for me.

We walked all around the Spit and did a little window shopping. We watched as catches were cleaned and we learned a few facts about the different flags used by ships to communicate with other ships. David and I gave the kids some money for ice cream while he and I made a quick stop into The Salty Dawg. Apparently this is the most notable establishment on the Spit. It was a super small bar and the walls, ceilings, and doors are all covered with dollar bills (and other random stuff) left by the patrons. We get to check that one off of life's to-do list.

The day was a little rainy so we headed to the Islands and Ocean Visitor Center. This free little museum offered two short films about the bears in the area and also the Tiglax research vessel of the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge. We learned a few fun facts before we walked along the  Beluga Slough Trail to watch for wildlife. On our return walk we were able to watch a mother moose and her 2 babies munch on their lunch. Moose are pretty common here and we have seen at least a dozen.

Dave took the 3 bigs to a movie while Magnolia and I had a nice drive and dinner out together. She and I often opt out of movie night when the movie might be scary. We are happy to do our own thing.

We are back in our hotel with the goal of a good night sleep. The sun is still shinning bright. Feels like it is about 4pm when in reality it is 10pm. The sun shines for 20 hours a day. If I lived here I suspect I would stay up late and get a lot more accomplished than I do in my life in Denver. But for now, it is just messing with me. Really a strange thing to go to bed when you are trying to keep the light out of your eyes.

We are at the one third mark on our sabbatical. This makes me sad. The time flies by and I am already feeling sad that it will not last forever. We get along pretty well and we are seeing so much and learning so many good things. I am so grateful to David for building these sabbaticals into our lives. We are already looking forward to the next one. In five years the kids will be 20, 18, 17, and 15. Fun to consider if we will be able to pull it off? If we can, I am sure it will look a little different than our RV trips. For now, my babies are tucked in tight and I get their full attention for another 50 days.

- Jll

No comments:

Post a Comment