Tuesday, July 4, 2023

The Jordan River is chilly and cold.


Every time I feel the spirit 

Movin’ in my heart
I will pray
Every time I feel the spirit
Movin’ in my heart
I will pray
Up on the mountains my Lord spoke

Out of His mouth came fire and smoke
Looked all around me, it looked so fine
I asked the Lord could it be mine
Every time I feel the spirit
Movin’ in my heart I will pray
Every time I feel the spirit
Movin' in my heart I will pray
The Jordan river is chilly and cold.

It chills the body but not the soul.
There ain’t but one
train upon this track.
It runs to heaven and then right back.
Every time I feel the spirit

Movin’ in my heart I will pray
Every time I feel the spirit
Movin' in my heart I will pray

Dave can’t help but sing this very old song every time the Jordan River is referenced. Today we visited the site of Jesus’ baptism and tried to imagine the Jordan River a whole lot wider and cleaner than it is today. The Jordan River shrinks in size every year and gets a bit more polluted, but our appreciation for the chance to stand on its banks was heartfelt. 



Next stop for the day, Masada National Park. Herod built two palaces for himself on the mountain and fortified Masada between 37 and 31 BCE. The siege by Roman troops from 73 to 74 CE, ended in the mass suicide of the 960 rebels who were hiding there. 

Dave and I visited this site 3 years ago so it was fun to come back and share it with the kids. I am certain it was hotter this time with temps in the 90s. I loved hiking around with the kids but we were all worn out by lunchtime.


Day ended with a few hours at the Israel Museum which features the Dead Sea Scrolls and a walk around the Machane Yehuda Market in West Jerusalem. Good times had by all.


Jll

 

No comments:

Post a Comment